Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Happy Trails are Here Again!

Do I dare say it?  There is something good that comes out of having an incredibly bad bout with a stomach bug.  Yep, really there is...

It is gratitude.  Right now I am extremely thankful and cognizant of my health, strength and energy.  After almost a week in bed I am happy to have my good health back.  While on the fritz I also had gratitude... towards those that helped me get through the day (Ellen Degeneres and Nate Burkhas- my TV pals), take care of my boys (Donna... and of course Michael) and listen to my pity party (the nurses, doctor, poor phlebotomist - who really got an earful... and once again Michael).  Mehandis and Abera were as patient as their age allowed.  Loved when Mehandis told me, "You need to get dressed Mama!".

Michael, you really deserve extra kudos.  You cleaned, cooked, calmed and cared.  As I lay in bed I would watch and listen with awe - both at your seemingly boundless energy (especially in comparison with mine) and your kind ways with the boys.  Remind me of this the next time I nag you about where your shoes landed.

And I need to remind myself to appreciate all that my body can do for me and all that others continue to contribute to our family.

 In celebration of the wonderful weekend and fantastic weather we hit the trails for a hike at Kettle Morraine.  Abera seemed to take to the hiking back pack right away!  Don't think the camera caught his smile here but he was loving it.

 Mehandis's trail run was a bit impeded by the fact that he needed to hold his pants up for them to stay on.  Never knew that they were too big before.  Oops.

 Over half of the conversation consisted of mosquito questions and commentary.  I do believe that I have brainwashed the poor boy into fearing these pests as much as I do.

 Shocked that this photo turned out as I swear Mehandis's hand covered up the lens during our photo session.  Guess that is his finger in the bottom left corner though...

The boys are having fun together on the days that Mehandis is "off" from preschool too.  We have had some fun play dates with friends, gone to the park, walked to the library (love my Craig's List purchased sit & stand... glad Mehandis likes it too) and just chilled at home.
 Mehandis gets excited to read Abera his old "baby" books... especially since he knows most of the words by heart.

 Brothers chilling on the couch... I swear Abera is content as long as he can watch whatever Mehandis is up to.  Seems that Mehandis's very active nature comes in handy now!

Oh yes, have to share a funny little aside story.  Michael is larger than life now in Mehandis's eyes.  You see, he came home from this past weekend's Sailing Awards Dinner as a winner.  I never before felt too enthused about my husband winning 1st place in sailing as the following trophy would then follow him home... and then would need to be prominently displayed on our mantle.
But this Sunday, when Mehandis happened upon the trophy on the kitchen counter, he exclaimed, "Look Mom!  It's the Piston Cup!!!".  A little reference to our son's favorite movie, "Cars", for those of you not in-the-know.
 Michael and I then told him that his father had indeed won the "Sailing Piston Cup" and that I would love for Mehandis to keep it in his bedroom.  We are winners all the around now!


1 comment:

Sarah said...

I love your trophy solution! Good thinking.

The boys look so cute together, and it looks like Mehandis has really taken to being a big brother.

Best wishes to all of you!